What is Outlook Online Archive for Office 365

0 Replies, 189 Views

A lot of customers and friends keeps asking me what is the outlook online archive feature and how to use it. So, I thought about writing a bit to explain what it is and how we can use it.

When a user’s mailbox reaches the quota, it will stop sending and receiving email. So, the solution is to delete some email and compress the data file so we can resume send receive emails. However, this is not possible all the time since most users will need to keep their email.

So, with the new exchange/outlook 365 we have the feature that we can create an archive mailbox online and access it through web (which is online and old was offline). So, in this guide we will focus more on the online office 365 version of the mailbox archive. You will need correct license to access this feature.

Difference between online archive and normal archive
  •        It’s only accessible with an internet connection
  •         Data isn’t stored on the user’s computer – saving disk space
  •         It’s a separate mailbox

So by archiving email to the In-place archive you can thus free up disk space on the user’s computer. This will also help with reducing the loading time of Outlook. And it also helps with cleaning up the mailbox, because by default Outlook only searches in the primary mailbox.

Exchange Online Archiving License
When you are using exchange online archive option there are some license requirements such as below
  • Microsoft 365 Business Basic
  • Microsoft 365 Business Standard
  • Office 365 E1

How to enable Archive Mailbox in Office 365
in order to enable the online archive mailbox option there are few steps you will need to follow as per the below steps. 
  • Open the Exchange Admin Center
  • Expand Recipients and select Mailboxes
  • Click on the user
  • Click on Others
  • Open Manage mailbox Archive
  • Enable the Mailbox Archive
[Image: manage-mailbox-archive-option.png]

Using PowerShell to enable Online Archive
These methods are great if you only need to enable the archive mailbox for a couple of Office 365 users. When you want to enable the archive mailbox for all or multiple users in your organization you can better use PowerShell.

The online archive mailbox needs to be enabled per mailbox. The advantage of PowerShell is that we can easily select all users or a group of users. First, open PowerShell and connect to Exchange Online:
Code:
Connect-ExchangeOnline -UserPrincipalName admin@itprokh.com

To enable the archive mailbox for a single user we can use the following PowerShell command:

Code:
Enable-Mailbox -Identity admin@itprokh.com -Archive

Once its enabled u can see it like this on the outlook and web

[Image: rLBkdm.jpg]

I hope this guide helps you. Let me know what you think on the comments

Thanks

Sampath

https://snipboard.io/iIkGnj.jpg