Ms exchange server crash after security update

0 Replies, 169 Views

Recently I had to install Exchange server security updates to a live production server. Unfortunely it seems there are some issues when you install SU on exchange servers where it will stop ECP/OWA to stop working. 

The update was kb5008631 to an Exchange 2013 CU 23 server. Once you install this update for some reasons there are some entries in IIS ecp vertual directories goes missing and it makes ECP to crash with the following error. 

[Image: could-not-load-file-or-assembly.png]

So in order to fix this you can try the below steps. However I highly recomend you testing out any SU updates in a virual enverinment which would have the same patch level as your production server

Steps I tried to resolve this

1. Go to ECP virtual directory in IIS
2. Select application settings - 
3. BinSearchFolder
3. Check these paths in the settings - %ExchangeInstallDir%bin;%ExchangeInstallDir%bin\CmdletExtensionAgents;%ExchangeInstallDir%ClientAccess\Owa\bin
4. Make sure these are updated to Exchange setup folder - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\bin\CmdletExtensionAgents;C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\Owa\bin
5. In case your setup is in D: it should be D drive here
6. Save the info
7. Restart IIS

If you follow all these steps with the above error it should get your OWA/ECP working back again. But I highly recomend trying the update in a test setup before you install on live production servers.

Hope this helps you guys

Cheers!

Neo